Xen.org Research Papers
This page contains a list of publications about Xen.org as well as publications that used Xen to validate thier research they present. To submit your paper for addition to this page, follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.
Security and reliability
- Adaptive Dynamic Priority Scheduling for Virtual Desktop Infrastructures - Jinho Hwang, Timothy Wood, Proceedings of the IEEE / ACM International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), June 2012
- PipeCloud: Using Causality to Overcome Speed-of-Light Delays in Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery - Timothy Wood, Andres Lagar-Cavilla, K. K. Ramakrishnan, Prashant Shenoy, Jacobus Van der Merwe, Proceedings of 2nd Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), October 2011
- CloudVisor: Retrofitting Protection of Virtual Machines in Multi-tenant Cloud with Nested Virtualization - Fengzhe Zhang, Jin Chen and Binyu Zang. Proceedings of Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP-2011), Cascais, Portugal, October 2011
- Breaking Up is Hard to Do: Security and Functionality in a Commodity Hypervisor - Patric Colp, Mihir Nanavati, Jun Zhu, William Aiello, George Coker, Tim Deegan, Peter Loscocco, Andrew Warfield - Sept 2011
- Verifying the Safety of Xen Security Modules - Wei Han, Yeping He and Liping Ding,
Fifth International Conference on Secure Software Integration and Reliability Improvement, June 2011
- Enforcing Performance Isolation Across Virtual Machines in Xen - Diwaker Gupta, Ludmila Cherkasova, Rob Gardner, and Amin Vahdat. Proceedings of the 7th ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference. Melbourne, Australia, Nov 2006
- Seagull: Intelligent Cloud Bursting for Enterprise Applications - Tian Guo, Upendra Sharma, Timothy Wood, Sambit Sahu, Prashant Shenoy. USENIX ATC '12
- Fast, Lightweight Virtual Machine Checkpointing - Michael H. Sun, Douglas Blough, Georgia Institute of Technology, Center for Experimental Research in Computer Systems, Atlanta, GA, 2010
- Automated Control of Multiple Virtualized Resources - Pradeep Padala, Xiaoyun Zhu, et al. In the proceedings of the EuroSys 2009
- Memory Overbooking and Dynamic Control of Xen Virtual Machines in Consolidated Environments- Jin Heo, Xiaoyun Zhu, Pradeep Padala, Zhikui Wang. IFIP/IEEE Symposium on Integrated Management (IM'09) mini-conference, Jun 2009.
- Usher: An Extensible Framework for Managing Clusters of Virtual Machines - Diwaker Gupta, Marvin McNett, Amin Vahdat, Geoffrey M. Voelker. Proceedings of the 21st Large Installation Systems Administration Conference. Dallas, TX, Nov 2007
- Adaptive Control of Virtualized Resources in Utility Computing Environments - Pradeep Padala, Xiaoyun Zhu, et al. In the proceedings of the EuroSys 2007.
- Optimal Multivariate Control for Differentiated Services on a Shared Hosting Platform- Xue Liu, Xiaoyun Zhu, Padala Pradeep, Zhikui Wang, Sharad Singhal. In the proceedings of the 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC'07), Dec 2007.
- Capacity and Performance Overhead in Dynamic Resource Allocation to Virtual Containers - Zhikui Wang, Xiaoyun Zhu, Pradeep Padala and Sharad Singhal. In the proceedings of the IFIP/IEEE Symposium on Integrated Management (IM'2007).
- Black-box and Gray-box Strategies for Virtual Machine Migration - Timothy Wood, Prashant Shenoy, Arun Venkataramani, and Mazin Yousif. Proceedings of the Fourth Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Cambridge, MA, April 2007.
- Comparison of the Three CPU Schedulers in Xen - Ludmila Cherkasova, Diwaker Gupta, Amin Vahdat - Perfomance Evaluation Review. Vol 35, Number 2. Sept 3, 2007
- Communication-Aware CPU Scheduling for Consolidated Xen-Based Hosting Platforms - Govindan S, Nath AR, Das A, Urgaonkar B, Sivasubramaniam A, Xen and Co. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments - VEE 2007. New York, New York, USA: ACM Press; 2007:126-136.
- Difference Engine:Harnessing Memory Redundancy in Virtual Machines - Diwaker Gupta, Sangmin Lee, Michael Vrable, Stefan Savage, Alex C. Snoeren, George Varghese, Geoffrey M. Voelker, and Amin Vahdat. Proceedings of the 8th USENIX Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation. San Diego, CA, Dec 2008
- Geiger: Monitoring the Buffer Cache in a Virtual Machine Envrionement - Jones ST, Arpaci-Dusseau AC, Arpaci-Dusseau RH. ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review. 2006;40(5):14-24.
- SnowFlock: Rapid Virtual Machine Cloning for Cloud Computing - Lagar-Cavilla HA, Whitney JA, Scannell AM, et al. European Conference on Computer Systems. 2009:11.
- Satori: Enlightened Page Sharing - Milos G, Murray DG, Hand S, Fetterman MA. 2009 USENIX Annual Technical Conference. San Diego, CA; 2009:14
- DieCast: Testing Distributed Systems with an Accurate Scale Model - Diwaker Gupta, Kashi V. Vishwanath, Amin Vahdat. Proceedings of the 5th ACM/USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation. San Francisco, CA. April 2008
- Xenprobes, a Lightweight User-Space Probing Framework for Xen Virtual Machine - Nguyen Anh Quynh, Kuniyasu Suzaki - USENIX ATC 2007
- XenMon: QoS Monitoring and Performance Profiling Tool - Gupta D, Gardner R, Cherkasova L.
- Diagnosing Performance Overheads in the Xen Virtual Machine Environment - Menon A, Santos JR, Turner Y, Janakiraman G, Zwaenepoel W. 1st ACM/USENIX International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments - VEE 2005. New York, New York, USA: ACM Press; 2005:13-23
- PMonitor: A Lightweight Performance Monitor for Virtual Machines - Shao Z, Jin H, Lu X. 2008 First International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science. Wuhan, Hubei: IEEE; 2009:689-693
- Profiling and Modeling Resource Usage of Virtualized Applications - Timothy Wood, Ludmila Cherkasova, Kivanc Ozonat, and Prashant Shenoy. In proceedings of ACM International Conference on Middleware 2008.
Papers in Portuguese
Cambridge University - Early Xen Papers
- Xen and the Art of Virtualization - Paul Barham, Boris Dragovic, Keir Fraser, Steven Hand, Tim Harris, Alex Ho, Rolf Neugebauer, Ian Pratt, Andrew Warfield. Puplished at SOSP 2003
- Xen and the Art of Repeated Research - Bryan Clark, Todd Deshane, Eli Dow, Stephen Evanchik, Matthew Finlayson, Jason Herne, Jenna Neefe Matthews. Clarkson University. Presented at FREENIX 2004
- Safe Hardware Access with the Xen Virtual Machine Monitor - Keir Fraser, Steven Hand, Rolf Neugebauer, Ian Pratt, Andrew Warfield, Mark Williamson. Published at OASIS ASPLOS 2004 Workshop
- Live Migration of Virtual Machines - Christopher Clark, Keir Fraser, Steven Hand, Jacob Gorm Hansen, Eric Jul, Christian Limpach, Ian Pratt, Andrew Warfield. Published at NSDI 2005
- Ottawa Linux Symposium 2004 Presentation
- Linux World 2005 Virtualization BOF Presentation - Overview of Xen 2.0, Live Migration, and Xen 3.0 Roadmap
- Xen Summit 3.0 Status Report - Cambridge 2005
Early Xen Articles